Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Bride and the Bean


10" x 8" Oil on mounted canvas.
$100 - Shipping to US included.

Here is my answer to this week's Different Strokes challenge. I really like the cloud gate sculpture in Chicago's Millennium Park. Karin's photo had the bride from a wedding party that I could not resist including. Is she marrying the Bean?

My trip to Chicago this year was an extended layover that allowed us to visit the Art Institute of Chicago. We did really enjoy the visit even though the Impressionist paintings (which would have been my highlight) were mostly in Ft Worth while the museum is undergoing expansion. Luckily we knew about the show at the Kimbell so we visited it in DFW from where we just traveled. Otherwise, it would have been an uncomfortable irony.

The cloud gate on our visit looked even better than Karin's photo. Its surface was completely polished and you could not detect the seams as you can in her photo. I certainly chose to not depict any distracting seams. I am still wondering if the sculpture needs maintenance over time or if Karin's photo was from before it was completed.

I highly recommend a visit to the Art institute area. The impressionist paintings remain at the Kimbell until early November.

No comments: